Apartment 113

Apartment 113 a True story of a Haunting






Also checkout my other works. Amazon Author Page



and like me on Facebook Haunted Castle's Books Facebook Page

Blog Series




Apartment 113 a True story of a Haunting

To begin whoever said be careful what you wish for, you just might get it.  Had obviously done it and I wished for this and got more than I bargained for.  I am a writer and creative thinker named A. J. Phillips and this actually happened to me in my mid-twenties.

I had just graduated college and was looking for my first place of my own, as well as looking for my first real job.  Earlier that same year I had met a woman who at the time I thought was the one, but that is only a minor detail.  I had a friend who was going to be out of town for the summer and he let me sublease his room in a house for that summer.  So for the time being I had a place to be while I hunted a job.  Austin TX is a hot and humid place especially during the summer.  It is strange to me but at one point my mother, grandmother, my uncle and yes even my dad had lived in this city at some point in their lives.  This torch had now been passed to me.  Austin is a pedestrian city, very friendly to bikers and walkers alike.  Since I was on foot I got to know it quite well.  The story of 113 and I began one afternoon when I happened to wonder through UT Austin’s campus on my way back to my temporary home.  I happened across a flier on one of the poster kiosks toward the far eastern side of the campus near the LBJ Library.  It simply read efficiency apartments $350 per month all bills paid except electric and internet.  The apartments did not have a name; the flier just listed an address and phone number.  I took it home and googled the address and directions to it.  It turned out the apartments were not too far from the campus.  The fact that the apartments had no name should have been my first clue, but I was too excited the price was too good not to at least check it out.  I called and made an appointment to see the apartment manager. 

My appointment was at 3pm the next day, I am a very punctual person if I tell you I will meet you at 3pm expect me to be around at least thirty minutes prior to that time.  I call this time screw up time; I always allow time for something to go wrong to avoid dealing with Murphy and his law.  This complex actually consisted of three addresses, two identical buildings on the same lot and a third down the street.  Each building was three stories tall and this ugly pastel piss yellow in color.  The buildings on the double lot were the main ones; I was looking for room 101 of building 2506.  I found it rather easily and knocked.  This young Asian man answered the door he looked like a student and probably was.  We chatted for about twenty minutes.  The complex seemed deserted, but it was summer and most of the area was transient student housing.  He asked me what kind of apartment I preferred.  I asked for one on the ground floor at first he said he did not have one but I pushed the issue a little.  Finally he caved in and confessed there was one just one.  It was apartment 113 on the back of the building.  He did something that no true apartment manager would do he trashed talked the apartment trying to disillusion me and convince me to look at a different one.  This part of the building faces a narrow alleyway with no parking, which worked for me, I had no car and could not dirve.  Next he tried this one it is behind a utility wall and gets no sunlight.  That line right there sold me on it me and the sun…not friends.  To me this was a plus, it was also on the east side of the building getting the rising sun’s heat not the setting sun’s another plus.  Being on the back of the building and in that narrow alleyway behind the utility wall I could come and go quietly and unseen,  Finally I convinced him to let me see it. 

We went around the back and he unlocked the door.  The apartment smelled stale, it had been sealed off for some time.  They did not even have power connected to show it off.  I walked in and wondered around in the dimly lit room.  The apartment manager did not enter with me he stayed outside.  His overall behavior should have been my second clue.  I said I would take it.  And, we returned to the office to fill out some paperwork.  A little background of this area of Austin, this area was the former ghetto of Austin, which students at UT had forcibly reclaimed by sheer numbers.  So if you believe in that sort of thing it was saturated in negative energy from memories past.  Many violent deeds had been done here, the office had two framed articles on how the owner of this complex had been mugged and robbed twice.  I myself believe the Earth can remember things. 

Three days later the apartment was set to be mine as soon as I got the utilities lined out.  I could move in.  All of this happened so fast.  Finally I got the electricity on and could see my new place.  It was your basic one room efficiency.  The layout, one main room a kitchen, bathroom and walk-in closet this place even had an on demand water heater.  My girlfriend was with me, she was the one who noticed the burn marks in the carpet.  Point of fact they are supposed to redo an apartment after a tenant leaves for health reasons, here they did not.  However, I did not care I was your regular guy who now had his own cave.  Let’s set the record straight here I am a firm believer in the supernatural and paranormal having experienced it firsthand more than once.  My girlfriend even though she was a Catholic was not she thought it was a load of bull$*!+.  This was mistake number one on her part she said so in the apartment.  To the things that go bump in the night this paints a huge bull’s-eye on your back.  It was shortly after this statement that the weird things began to happen. 

I began moving my stuff into apartment 113 on a Saturday.  Once all my stuff was inside I began to unpack.  All I had was the contents of my dorm, consisting of my closes some blankets and my computer plus all associated items like DVD’s.  I literally camped out in my apartment for the first month.  It was all lots of fun to me again I had my cave.  It was about sunset when I started setting up my computer, I had flipped a storage bin upside down to use as a table.  At this point I was connecting wires all I had plugged to power was my subwoofer to my Logitech speakers.  That’s when it happened a low groan came through the woofer, I ignored it, but it got louder and louder then suddenly stopped.  By the time it stopped I had everything connected and my computer was booting.  I may believe in the supernatural and paranormal but I first go to scientific facts before I attribute anything to them.  Here was my logic my speakers have picked up CB radios before, I am only a few block from I-35 so I labeled this radio interference and discounted it.  I have a belief that we can all see ghosts but most of us cannot fathom what we saw so our minds quickly rewrite what happened so it is if it never did, so most of us never notice the supernatural as a result.

  Small little BS things like this continued to happen escalating little by little.  I finally broke down and told my girlfriend about the incidents and she blew up and clearly thought I was crazy, typical nonbeliever response.  At this point they were little minor BS kinds of things like objects being moved and the like.  This However was mistake number two for her she said she did not believe in it in the apartment again!  My girlfriend was of Vietnamese descent and had been raised old school Catholic.  She grew up in a small close knit Vietnamese village hidden away in one of Texas’ little fishing towns. She was a woman of Science so a pseudo-science like parapsychology was comical like the movies Ghostbusters 1 & 2.  This complex had one very unsettling feature at least to me it was unsettling.  There were florescent lights that stayed on night and day lighting the outside walkways.  This place was brightly lit.  I mean like the sun kind of lit.  What made this unsettling to me was none of the other apartment complexes were lit like this.  This one was unique.  Whenever stuff would happen I was always alone…typical right?  I kept blowing it off because I have been a paranormal/supernatural nut since I was a child when I was 9 I saw a ghost it scared the crap out of me.  I pulled the covers over my head and sleep trembling all night.  That incident awakened an insane curiosity in me; I read everything I could find on ghosts for years after that. 

This one had some of the classic poltergeist behavior.  I was home alone mid-afternoon filling out some online job applications when the loudest and hardest knock I had ever heard sounded from my front door.  I mean it shook the door; I went to the peep hole quickly after getting over being startled.  There was no one there, I opened the door went outside even went to the outside of the utility wall…nothing.  As I came back to my door, I saw it; there was a dirty foot print, with the full imprint of a shoe on the bottom of the door.  There are a few problems with this, the utility wall makes this spot really narrow and the foot print was too large for someone to have kicked my door and made it in that amount of space.  What I am getting at is you would have to be a midget with huge feet to pull it off otherwise you would be standing inside the utility wall.  I tried to copy the angle and do it I could not I am 5’7” my girlfriend was 5’1” I did show her and asked her to try to copy it she could not.  I cleaned the foot print off the door but no matter how many times I did, the next day there it was again.  The other problem was there was nowhere for a prankster to hide here and I was the only one living on that side at the time, I was the only one on that floor everyone else was gone.  Still I ignored it though I knew I was not alone.  This type of thing is a ghost hunter’s wet dream; I mean you are living with it.  I was perfectly willing to coexist.  Right here is where a very famous mistake is made I knew I was not alone, most people in this situation would do something stupid like try to make contact through either an amateur séance or a Ouija Board both of which I knew better than to try.  A Ouija Board is like leaving your door unlocked with a huge sign saying all are welcome. 

It was after this the music started, my girlfriend could not hear it so clearly she thought I was imagining things.  Every night when I would go to bed just before I would nod off, I could hear something that sounded like an old record player playing an old song.  The song was familiar I knew I had heard it before but to this day I cannot place it the music was out of time and step.  The tempo was off too.  This went on for weeks the same song every night.  I soon became aware of a set of eyes staring at me from somewhere in the back of the apartment.  I tried telling my girlfriend again this time she started crying saying she did not believe in it.  Clearly this was denial the real truth is she was afraid of this kind of stuff whereas I was insanely curious instead.  I hugged her to me and apologized even though I knew the fatal third mistake had already happened.  A nonbeliever had practically called the haunting out, saying you don’t believe in it in its domain is a mistake doing it three times is an invitation.  Hauntings often will not mess with those who believe because a genuine haunting wants your attention.  A believer pays attention.  However, nonbelievers are fun to them, kind of like beating a level in a video game. 

It was right after this she started having the nightmares when she stayed over.  Each one was worse than the last; she even told me she had them in her apartment, combined with the escalation of small happening I knew something big was coming.  About a week later I was home alone again doing more job applications.  This time the slam came from the kitchen which was in my line of sight.  A glass had been taken from the sink and slammed to the floor shattering loudly.  I got up to go clean it up and said there is no need for that…I could feel a very angry presence all around me.  This was the first time I left because of it.  I went for a walk and decided to go and wait for my girlfriend at her UT summer job and surprise her.   I did not tell her about this one because it really wasn’t her problem it was mine.  We went and got dinner and ended up back at my apartment.  It got late and she decided to stay the night.  That night she heard it, one of the unexplained phenomena just a BS little happening.  Every night around midnight there is this noise that sounds like a person dragging their finger nails across the walls and the doors that would start at one end of that side of the apartments and go all the way to the other end.  I had heard it many times and tried to catch whoever it was multiple times, you would open the door and the sound would stop.  So you would close the door and the sound would resume.  I had been dealing with it for weeks now and I just ignored it.  This noise unnerved her, I just simply stated yeah I know and left it at that.  We settled in to watch a movie it was Friday after all and then to bed.  By the time we went to sleep it was about 2am.  Since I had no furniture yet I had a really thick pallet on the floor for us.  There was the music again this time it was much louder, all the times before it sounded really far off.  Tonight it sounded like it was on top of me.  An hour ticked past and we slept soundly until she woke up screaming which woke me up.  “There’s an old woman” was all I got from her.  I closed my eyes and a face appeared right in mine I slammed against the wall cussing, in seconds I was on my feet.  She pointed to the center of the room there was this greenish black mist hovering in the center of the room spewing angry energy.  My girlfriend grabbed my hand and said “let’s run” my response was run where it is 3 in the morning where are we going to go?”  Needless to say I was pissed.  I could tell whatever it was its focus was on my girlfriend. 

I twisted my hand loose from hers and charged the thing punching and kicking the air.  This move must have startled it because it vanished for a couple of minutes.  When it did I began ripping the place apart hunting it, as I said I am deeply into this sort of stuff I knew it was not over yet.  Then my girlfriend screamed and pointed it was back and it was after her.  We were a mixed race couple and if this thing was an old woman and our location being the old ghetto, we had violated a taboo, which may explain the things full on hate directed at her.  Without any forethought I yelled “say the Lord’s Prayer and keep saying it.  Focus your thoughts on me” then I myself began to pray I asked god to help me protect my girlfriend.  Then I asked for his light to fill my hands as I did I rushed it.  I had the beast cornered.  What I did next was straight out of DragonBall Z I put my hands together like I was going to do Goku’s favorite move and yelled “let your light shine brightly in Jesus name Amen” shoving my hand into the green mist.  One tormented scream later and I saw an orb of light vanish into the ceiling and it was over, through him we had won.  I quickly turned on the lights and looked around, the whole room seemed brighter; it was as different as night and day.  A nonbeliever had become one the hard way.  Whoever said ghosts come out at midnight the witching hour is full of crap most full on hauntings happen between 2 and 4am.  They also say evil places crawl with lower life forms like bugs this place really did, it had an over abundances of crickets, roaches, these odd worms that ate the sheet rock and they were not oddest thing.  At the back of the complex there was a grassy area about the size of three of the apartments and it practically swarmed with lightning bugs thousands of them.

I had gotten my wish but in the process someone innocent to that world had been initiated into it and she was terrified.  To me it was just par for the course.  I was sorry it had been brought on by her insistence it did not exist and I still feel bad that she experienced this because of me but past is past.  

A. J. Phillips


Also checkout my other works. Amazon Author Page



and like me on Facebook Haunted Castle's Books Facebook Page

Blog Series


#kindle

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1313 Cemetery Way 4 Lost Time

1313 Cemetery Way 23 Fairy Knights Lament Strikes!

1313 Cemetery Way 28 Voices in the Rain II